Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Quiz Night and Scholarly Presentations

There will be more photos and videos soon - but for now, you are stuck with my typing. SO! This week I started out by attending the Rotary Quiz evening hosted by the Mumbles club, with the competitors being themselves, Carmarthen Twyi, and Swansea Bay. The 9 rounds were intense, and the topics were varied and interesting. Carmarthen Twyi won the night, albeit narrowly, and the evening certainly was entertaining!

On Tuesday evening Gwenda drove myself and Laura down to Port Talbot, where we met with two other Ambassadorial Scholars, Emily (Brisbane, Australia - Cardiff) and Andrea (Munich, Germany - Cardiff) to present to the Rotary Club of Port Talbot. Gareth and Jan were there also, although I really didn't find enough time to catch up with everyone as well as talking to the many interesting people there! Laura and I had prepared a joint presentation, which I found flowed nicely and I really enjoyed being a part of Laura's story of her family and background. The other scholars provided invaluable insight into their family lives, country's, and backgrounds - I would love to see some other presentations because although I have met and befriended both Emily and Andrea before, it was fantastic hearing about what they wanted to share. If any of you Rotarians out there have the opportunity to see any of these girls speak, I can highly recommend it - and I'm sure the 5th 1150 Ambassadorial Scholar Wendy Swain in Aberystwyth is equally as captivating.

Tomorrow I am heading to Pembroke to some lectures relevant to the oil and energy industry - I am particularly excited as my father worked on a few of the oil refineries and chemical plants in Pembrokeshire about 25-30 years ago, so it will be great to see the area. I'm sure I will enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment